You have come, where did you spend, I was, is it raining, it is, the rain has stopped, the wind is blowing, I met, do you know, I do, I have known, we were, we often played, where did you meet, I have not seen, what does she look, she has not changed, she was going, I met, what did she tell, she told, she had recently returned, she had travelled, seen, she wants, she will come, I think, that will be, I am, what is the time, my watch has stopped, I do not know, it is, my mother will be waiting.
1. He was happy: he had written an excellent composition. 2. I have been looking for you the whole evening. 3. I suddenly remembered that I had eaten nothing since morning. 4. Luckily, the rain had stopped when we came out. 5. How many years have you been working at this school? 6. At eleven o'clock we were still working. 7. At eleven o'clock we had already been working for three hours. 8. I have already told you three times that the exercise should (must) be rewritten. 9. I had been reading a whole hour after dinner when father came. 10.1 shall not come. I shall be writing a composition the whole evening. 11. Where have you been since last Friday? 12. I have been staying with my friends for two weeks already. 13. I had been staying with my friends for two weeks already when I received a (the) letter. 14. How many days have you been reading this book? 15. Only when she was in the train, she remembered that she had left the book at home. 16. They have been living in this house for five years already. 17. My sister had already been ill for several days when I learnt about it. 18. Did you know that he had not written the composition? 19. We have not received letters from her for already several months. 20. How many years have you been working at this plant? 21. He had already gone when Lena turned on the radio. 22. I have been working at this problem for three months already. 23. You must (should) rest. You have worked too much today.
1. What does your brother do? — He works at an institute. — And what is he doing now? — He is reading a newspaper. I always bring him newspapers when he comes from work. 2. It was already dark when we approached the house: a strong wind was blowing and it was getting colder and colder. 3. What will you be doing at eight o'clock in the evening tomorrow? — Tomorrow by eight o'clock I shall have finished all my homework and at eight I shall be playing the piano. 4. They have read Dickens in English and know many of his works. 5. Winter has come, and now we shall often go to the skating rink again. 6. When Tom came out of the house, all the children were playing football, and Bill and John were counting round stones they had brought from the river. 7. She was surprised: she had never seen so many flowers. 8. When I woke up, mother had already got up and was making tea. 9. I have been trying to remember her name for half an hour already, but haven't yet remembered it. 10. When he came home, we had already gone to the cinema. 11. She said that it was raining and we had better stay at home. 12. She had been living in this house for five years already when her brother came. 13. She thought that the weather would be fine. 14. Don't you understand that in spring I shall have been wearing this hat for three years? 15. Have they been playing chess since morning? 16. They had been walking along the road for two or three hours when it suddenly began raining. 17. I know that she has been working at this article for three weeks already. 18. When I repeated my question, he said that he had not heard me the first time, but I saw clearly that he had heard me well both times. 19. Well, have you packed your things at last? The taxi has been waiting at the doors for ten minutes. 20. We have been sitting here for two hours already, and I haven't yet told you about my trip. 21. Where is Mary? — She is in the library, she is preparing for her report. She has already been working for three hours. 22. He thought that his friends worked together.
I told — I was told.
I showed — I was shown.
She brought — She was brought.
We asked — We were asked.
We answered — We were answered.
We sent — We were sent.
They gave — They were given.
He helped — He was helped.
He advised — He was advised.
He forgot — He was forgotten.
He remembered — He was remembered.
We invited — We were invited.
We corrected — We were corrected.
He cured — He was cured.
He called — He was called.
I was told — I am told — I shall be told.
I was shown — I am shown — I shall be shown.
She was brought — She is brought — She will be brought.
We were asked — We are asked — We shall be asked.
We were answered — We are answered — We shall be answered.
We were sent — We are sent — We shall be sent.
They were given — They are given — They will be given.
He was helped — He is helped — He will be helped.
He was advised — He is advised — He will be advised.
He was forgotten — He is forgotten — He will be forgotten.
He was remembered — He is remembered — He will be remembered.
We were invited — We are invited — We shall be invited.
We were corrected — We are corrected — We shall be corrected.
He was called — He is called — He will be called.
1. is emptied. 2. are postmarked. 3. are sorted. 4. is loaded. 5. are unloaded. 6. are taken. 7. are sorted.
8. are delivered.
1. was emptied. 2. were postmarked. 3. were sorted. 4. was loaded. 5. were unloaded. 6. were taken. 7. were sorted. 8. were delivered.
1. will be emptied. 2. will be postmarked. 3. will be sorted. 4. will be loaded. 5. will be unloaded. 6. will be taken. 7. will be sorted. 8. will be delivered.
1. was answered. 2. is played. 3. are gathered. 4. were burnt. 5. will be finished. 6. are sold. 7. was founded. 8. is eaten. 9. was received. 10. will be sent. 11. was asked. 12. was given. 13. are built. 14. will be done. 15. was translated. 16. were planted. 17. are always played. 18. will be given. 19. were invited. 20. is never found. 21. was not built.
1. will be met. 2. will meet. 3. will bring. 4. will be brought. 5. may leave. 6. can leave. 7. will be taken. 8. will take.
1.1 always praise my friends. 2.1 am always praised at home. 3. Every Saturday father shows grandfather my marks. 4. Every Saturday father is shown my marks. 5. We often remember you. 6. We are often remembered in the village. 7. I am given juice every morning. 8, Every morning I give the cat milk. 9. Every day he tells us something interesting. 10. Every day he is told something interesting. 11. I often send letters to my friends. 12. I am often sent to the south. 13. I am often invited to the cinema.14. My sister is often helped at school. 15. Sometimes I forget to take my record book. 16. He writes many letters. 17. Books by A. Christie are read with interest. 18. Dogs like bones. 19. Dogs are liked in many families. 20. When is tea drunk in your family? 21. Where are old letters kept? 22. Why are these rules always forgotten? 23. Why do you always forget these rules? 24. Where do your friends live? 25. Where is bread bought? 26. When are questions asked?
1. I advised my friend to join a sport section. 2. I was advised to join a sport section. 3. I showed the doctor my teeth. 4. I was shown to the doctor. 5. I gave my dog a lump of sugar. 6. I was given soup for dinner. 7. Yesterday I asked the teacher to help me. 8. Yesterday I was asked to help my classmate.9. Last summer I taught my sister to swim. 10. Last summer I was taught to swim. 11. Yesterday we were asked a lot of questions at the lesson. 12. I answered all the questions. 13. The teacher gave me a good mark. 14. At home I was praised. 15. These letters were brought in the morning. 16. My bag was bought last year. 17. These nuts were eaten yesterday. 18. Where did you buy this book? 19. Where was this book bought? 20. When was the dinner cooked? 21. When was the cup broken? 22. When did you break the cup? 23. What was he promised? 24. When was the car repaired? 25. When was the mistake corrected?
1. The new skates will be bought tomorrow. 2. Mike will ask me to help him. 3. Mike will be asked to tell about his journey. 4. The doctor will ask me to open my mouth. 5. The doctor will be asked to cure
me. 6. Tomorrow I shall bring a new film. 7. Tomorrow a new film will be brought. 8. My friend will help me with mathematics. 9. My friend will be helped with German. 10. I shall buy some ice cream. 11. The tickets will be brought tomorrow. 12. The dictation will be written next Tuesday. 13. Mother will be asked not to worry. 14. Mother will be given a cup of coffee. 15. Mother will thank the doctor. 16. The-telegram will be sent at once. 17. The carpet will be hung on the wall. 18. The books will be put on the shelf. 19. When will the letter be sent? 20. When will the paper be corrected? 21. How will this work be done?
1. The freshman was laughed at. 2. The headmistress was spoken to yesterday. 3. The babies were looked after with great care. 4. That old house was not lived in. 5. Jim was sent for and told to prepare a report on that subject. 6. Our friend was thought about all the time. 7. He will be operated on in a week. 8. The pupil's parents were sent for. 9. The newspaper was looked for everywhere. 10. The bed was not slept in. 11. The telegram was asked for. 12. The lecturer was listened to with great attention.
1. She is often sent to the post office. 2. Last year she was sent to Cambridge. 3. He will be sent to Harvard. 4. She is always sent for. 5. She was sent for yesterday. 6. I shall be sent for tomorrow. 7. They are always invited to Ann's birthday. 8. In summer Nick will be taken to the country. 9. This film was much spoken about. 10. We were shown mry beautiful paintings at the museum. 11. This book is very often asked for.
1. Irene was brought some beautiful shells from the south by her husband. 2. The newspaper reporters were given a long interview. 3. You will be taught English by Mr. Wilson. 4. I was ordered a month's rest from studying. 5. Nick was given a book for his birthday. 6. We are told stories by our mother every evening. 7. You will be shown a new book of pictures. 8. She was shown the way. 9. We shall be sent a box of fruit. 10. They were followed by five or six small children. 11. In summer the horses are often driven to the fields. 12. The Poles were led into the thickest part of the forest. 13. The boat was carried away by the waves. 14. The translation will be done in the evening. 15. The flowers are watered regularly. 16. These books were promised me long ago (I was promised these books long ago). 17. Bessie was given a complete set of Walter Scott's works. 18. The house is protected by a marble pavillion. 19. The roof of the house will be painted. 20. The fence was whitewashed. 21. She was given three beautiful dishes as a birthday present.
1. She took a long time to write the composition, but at last it was written. 2. Don't put the cup there: it will be broken. 3. Why weren't you at the birthday party? — I wasn't invited. 4. We met many difficulties, but all the same the work was finished in time. 5. You will be left behind if you are not quick. 6. All my money was spent on books last month. 7. I don't think all this work will be done today: there is too much of it. 8. It's a very funny thing that when I start doing this, I am always stopped. 9. Don't leave these sweets on the table: they will be eaten. 10. The branch of the tree was broken (by the elephant). 11. The bear was attacked by the bees when it tried to take their honey.
1. The box must be taken to the station. 2. The river can be crossed on a raft. 3. The building of the house can be finished very soon. 4. The books must be returned the day after tomorrow. 5. Three of these exercises must be done tomorrow. 6. The book you need can be found in any library. 7. These letters must be sent at once. 8. This mistake can be easily forgiven. 9. Such berries can be found everywhere. 10. This work must be done very carefully. 11. The doctor says she must be taken to
hospital. 12. The work can be done in three days. 13. All the library books must be returned before each summer vacation. 14. Even the tallest trees can be climbed by monkeys.
1. Hands must be washed before each meal. 2. Rooms must be regularly aired. 3. A cat must be fed with fish. 4. A dog can be fed with meat and vegetables. 5. A child must be given fruit. 6. The books must be put into the bookcase. 7. This picture can be hung over the fireplace. 8. How can this word be translated? 9. Where can the suitcases be put? 10. May the cat be left in the yard? 11. What must be paid attention to? 12. Your telephone number must be written down. 13. Your blood pressure must be checked. 14. He must be invited to my birthday party. 15. She can be offered a new job.
1. The rule was understood. 2. It was learnt. 3. The invitation will be accepted. 4. The letter will be posted. 5. Music is heard. 6. The first prize was won. 7. The question was settled. 8. Your report must be divided. 9. He will be sent. 10. The book will be discussed. 11. The composition must be handed.
12. He was told. 13. The article was published. 14. The lecture was attended. 15. A taxi was called. 16. The young man was introduced. 132
1. saw. 2. will be received. 3. will give. 4. be found. 5. shall show. 6. find. 7. is divided. 8. founded. 9. was founded. 10. call.
1. A lot of money was stolen from the shop. 2. By six o'clock the work had been finished. 3. At twelve o'clock the trucks were being loaded. 4. By three o'clock the trucks had been loaded. 5. Our daughter is sent to rest in the south every year. 6. This film will be shown on TV. 7. A new concert hall is being built in our street. 8. Potatoes were bought yesterday. 9. The books will be brought tomorrow. 10. The clock is being repaired now. 11. Milk is sold in this shop. 12. The whole text has been translated.. 13. The window was broken last week. 14. When I came home, the sweets had been eaten. 15. The work will be done in the evening. 16. This book was written in the 19th century. 17. Tennis was being played.from four till five. 18. The number of important experiments K-we been made in this laboratory. 19. Central Africa was explored by Livingstone in the 19th century. 20. By the middle of autumn all the trees had been planted. 21. This play will be staged at the beginning of next season. 22. The story has been forgotten. 23. Have the rules of the game been explained to you? 24. My skates haven't been brought back.
1. I shall be introduced to his friends. 2. A bridge is being built over the river. 3. The article hasn't yet been translated. 4. The man was being looked at with great surprise. 5. The film will be spoken about at the lesson. 6. The pupil's parents were sent for. 7. Have the letters been typed? — No, they are being typed now. 8. He was asked about his holidays. 9. The novel has already been discussed. 10. I was not given his address. 11. He was shown the way to the metro station.
1. She was prescribed new medicine (New medicine was prescribed her). 2. He is often spoken about. 3. This funny animal was laughed at by everybody. 4. You have been looked for the whole morning. 5. Strict discipline will be insisted on. 6. Three foreign languages are taught at this school. 7. This letter was received after his departure. 8. Have you ever been attacked by dogs? 9. Honey is gathered from flowers. 10. The ship was driven against a rock. 11. Whom was the circulation of blood discovered by?12. Delicious fruit ice cream is being sold there now. 13. We were shown the way out of the wood (by the old man). 14. She was offered some interesting work.
1. A lot of things have been scattered about. 2. All the books have been put into the bookcase. 3. The fields will be covered with snow in winter. 4. The homework will be handed in tomorrow. 5. I don't think all the preparations will be finished today. 6. I am always invited to her dinner parties. 7. I was shown the dress (which had been) made by her daughter. 8. She was not invited to the party. 9. The window was not left open. 10. The light was not turned off. 11. Some friends have been invited to tea. 12.1 have been given an English book. 13. Has the letter been written yet? 14. We have been told a lot of interesting things. 15. The paper has been written without mistakes. 16. The matter was discussed some days ago. 17. You are wanted on the phone. 18. My book was found on the windowsill. 19. Excellent shelters have been built for tourists in these mountains. 20. Have the exercises been given to all the students? (Have all the students been given the exercises?) 21. The boy was angry because he was not allowed to go to the stadium. 22. Why have my books been put on this table?
1. I was taken to the cinema last week. 2. This work will be finished in time. 3. This house was built in 1960. 4. New children's books were being sold in that shop when I entered it yesterday. 5. On our way to the station we were joined by a large group of young people. 6. A school was started in this village by a young teacher. 7. This article is being translated now. 8. "The Forsyte Saga" was written by Galsworthy. 9. This meeting was attended by thousands of people. 10.1 have just been interrupted. 11. It has been explained to us (by the teacher). 12. The light is turned on when it is dark. 13. The students1 translation was finished in time. 14. The dishes were washed (by Helen). 15. Betty's younger brother was often taken for a walk. 16. Some coffee has been made. 17. Has your dress been ironed yet? 18. This word was mispronounced. 19. She has been told the truth. 20. We were promised an interesting entertainment. 21. Chalk is used for writing on the blackboard. 22. My work will be finished at about seven o'clock. 23. The door has been opened. 24. The coffee was brought in.
1. The girl was looked for everywhere. 2. The boy was not listened to. 3. The patients were looked after well. 4. Our address was asked for. 5. These papers were looked through this morning. 6. My brother will be given English lessons. 7. I have been shown an interesting magazine. 8. He was told everything (by his friend). 9. The famous lecturer was warmly greeted by the students. 10. A huge plant has recently been built in the town of N. 11. The work must be finished by tomorrow. 12. When I fell ill, the doctor was sent for. 13. Helen was shown the nearest way to the theatre. 14. His patient was given some good advice. 15. I have been told the news (by Mary). 16. The little boy was looked at with interest. 17. The paper was examined attentively.
I. She cleaned and aired the room. 2. Have you read all these books? 3. Who wrote these letters? 4.
The secretary has just typed the letter. 5. She showed me the picture which her husband had painted. 6. My parents will not allow me to go there. 7. We have told him everything so he knows what to do. 8. You must answer all the questions. 9. They have left the door open. 10. We met Betty at the station.
II. The girl's mother did not allow her to go to the concert. 12. She said that they had not yet hung up the new timetable on the notice board. 13. We ate the chicken with appetite. 14. It was so dark that we could not see the houses. 15. They have not yet turned off the light. 16. She punished the boy for misbehaving. 17. By three o'clock we had prepared everything. 18. We wrote the dictation without mistakes. 19. Who wrote the poem? 20. She washed and ironed her dress. 21. They did not blame me for the mistakes. 22. The teacher had looked through and corrected the papers by the next lesson. 23.They built this house last year. 24. We have just sent the letter. 25. We shall translate this article at the lesson on Tuesday. 26. When will you return this book to the library? 136
1. We have sent invitations to all the old pupils to be present at the school's thirtieth anniversary. 2. All the passengers in the bus were listening to the story of the boy whom the driver had saved from drowning. 3. We finished the work in time. 4. She takes care of the child. 5. Every student must read this book. 6. You can see this film at our cinema. 7. Spartan parents taught their children to endure all hardships. 8. Which article did your brother translate? 9. He was teaching them drawing at that lesson.10. He seldom mentioned this name in his novels. 11. People often tell me about it. 12. We have much spoken of this man. 13. When did you do it? 14. What museums did you visit last year? 15. Have you handed in your compositions? 16. What you have said is true. 17. After he had thoroughly explained the facts to her, she no longer felt worried. 18. The policeman fined him for crossing the street in the wrong place. 19. The Persians attacked the Greeks from the sea. 20. People have never climbed this mountain before (Nobody has ever climbed this mountain before). 21. She told me that she had carefully put those newspapers away where she would not lose them. 22. Why have you put these cups here in this cupboard? 23. Nick's mother told him to go home at once.
1. were made. 2. had been received. 3. have just been introduced. 4. will be taken, will be brought. 5. shall be asked. 6. was much spoken. 7. was expected. 8. would be opened. 9. is (being) sold. 10. were looked, was found.