1. This book was taken from the library only yesterday. 2. These three students were asked two days ago. 3. Were you examined in the morning? 4. This mouse was caught at night. 5. Very beautiful bags are made at our factory. 6. Letters can be sent there only in summer, but telegrams all the year round. 7. My friend is sent abroad every year. 8. She was sent to hospital two days ago. 9. Yesterday we were sent to the laboratory. 10. This composition was written last week. 11. The telegram was sent late at night, and he will receive it only in the morning. 12. This article must be read by the whole group. 13. This exercise may be written in pencil. 14. All your compositions will be returned next week. 15. This letter can be written on a piece of paper.
1. We were shown a very strange picture. 2. You are being looked for. Go home. 3. All of you will be gathered in the hall and told about all the changes in the school curriculum. 4. Why is he always laughed at? 5. All of us were given tickets to the exhibition. 6. The lectures of this famous professor are always listened to with great attention. 7. Am I being waited for? 8. They were asked three difficult questions. 9. The headmaster has already been sent for. Please wait a little. 10. Everybody was invited to a big hall. 11. These letters have been looked through. They can be sent. 12. At the station they were met by the guide and taken to the hotel. 13. These magazines must be returned to the library next week. 14. At our lessons much attention is paid to pronunciation. 15. Ivanov was told to explain why he missed classes. 16. Shall I be invited to your party? 17. The children were left alone at home.
1. Не will be met by his father at the railway station. 2. These pictures were painted in the 16th century. 3. Are these books used for work? 4. In Italy we shall be shown many places of interest. 5. This man was followed by a great crowd. 6. When the new story was being read, somebody knocked at the door. 7. We have already been invited to the party. 8. When mother came, dinner had already been cooked. 9. This doctor is often sent for. 10. He is always met by his friends at the railway station. 11.
Are you given books for reading at school? 12. The prisoners were brought into a big hall. 13. What exercises were done in class? 14. Who was this letter written by? 15. Many schools will be built next year. 16. He is laughed at by everybody. 17. Will this work be finished next week? 18. When were these apple trees planted? 19. He was often remembered and spoken about at the institute. 20. Shall we be met at the station? 21. The answer will be sent in a few days. 22. When were you asked? 23. This translation will be finished in a few days. 24. Will this book be returned in time?
1. The letters were left on the table. 2. The boy was not allowed to bathe in the river. 3. After dinner the dishes were washed. 4. The letter was written yesterday. 5. This article was written by an English journalist. 6. This poem must be learnt by all the students of our group. 7. We were shown many beautiful things. 8. The poem was learnt by heart. 9. They will be taught English. 10. When the apple was eaten (had been eaten), the girl took the doll and went into the room. 11. When will your book be written? 12. All these books have been borrowed from the library. 13. The dictation was handed in to the teacher after the bell rang. 14. I thought that bread and butter would be bought by my sister. 15. In spring this field will be covered with green grass and flowers. 16. The homework was prepared, the books and exercise books were put into the bag. 17. The work was done very well. 18. The article must be translated by five o'clock. 19. The translation will be finished in time. 20. When I came home, dinner had already been cooked. 21. The article was translated without mistakes. 22. The book was put into the bookcase.
1. Where is your brother now? — He has been sent to France. 2. You have just been spoken about. 3. At home she was laughed at. 4. "I have just been ordered to bring in the prisoners," said the soldier. 5. Who was this letter written by?. 6. These flowers have just been picked. 7. Were you asked to come a little earlier yesterday? 8. Next year his play will be staged at this theatre. 9. This professor is always sent for in difficult situations. 10. St. Paul's Cathedral was built by the architect Wren. 11. When was the letter written? 12. Where have the books been put? 13. The doctor will be sent for tomorrow. 14. Many houses are built in St. Petersburg. 15. Books by English and American writers are published all over the world. 16. By the time he came, the letter had already been received. 17. Our house is being repaired now. 18. Nick is just being asked. 19. Have the books been brought from the library? 20. This cinema had been built before we came here. 21. Robert Burns'poems are known in many countries of the world. 22. When Charles Dickens was a little boy, his father was put into a debtors'prison. 23. This opera was written a hundred years ago. 24. This novel has already been translated into five languages. 25. Dinner was being cooked when I came home.
1.1 was introduced to her father yesterday. 2. When I return home, all my suitcases will be packed (will have been packed). 3. What textbook is referred to in your report? 4. Had this composition been written before you made your report? 5. She was listened to very inattentively and everything she said was soon forgotten. 6. This episode is much spoken about in our house. 7. We were taken into the hall and offered good seats. 8. Has the medicine been sent for? — Yes, it is being looked for. 9. He was brought up by his sister. 10. Don't worry, he will be helped with his work. 11. Three new schools are being built in our district. 12. This bridge is still being built. It was being built when I saw it for the first time. 13. When I began helping them, they had already been translating the article for two hours, but it had not yet been translated. 14. When I come home, dinner will still be cooked. 15. This story was discussed at the literature lesson.
1. Когда он узнал, что его сын всегда получает отличные оценки по всем предметам в школе, он был очень доволен. 2. Когда он узнал, что его сын получил отличную оценку в школе, он бьхл очень доволен. 3. Мы не знали, куда ходят наши друзья каждый вечер. 4. Мы не зяали, куда ушли наши друзья. 5. Она сказала, что ее лучший друг — врач. 6. Она сказала, что ее лучший друг оыл врачом, 7. Я не знал, что вы работаете в Эрмитаже. 8, Я не знал, гто вы работали в Эрмитаже. 9. Я знал, что вы больны. 10. Я знал, что вы были больны. И. Мы выяснили, что она выходит из дому в восемь часов каждое утро. 12. Мы выяснили, что она вышла из дому в восемь часов в то утро.
1. My uncle said he had just come back from the Caucasus. 2. He said he had spent a fortnight in the Caucasus. 3. He said it had done him a lot of good. 4. He said he felt better now. 5. He said his wife and he had spent most of their time on the beach. 6. He said they had done a lot of sightseeing. 7. He said he had a good camera. 8. He said he had taken many pictures while travelling in the Caucasus. 9. He said he would come to see us next Sunday. 10. He said he would bring and show us the pictures he had taken during his stay in the Caucasus.
1. Mike said he was sure Ann and Kate would be excellent guides. 2. He said they had made good progress in English. 3. Oleg said that in a day or two several English students would come to pay a visit to their school and he would probably have to act as an interpreter. 4. Ann said she had just met Boris in the street. 5. She said Boris had told her a lot of interesting things about his travels in the south. 6. Nick said he was going to the hotel to see his friends who had just arrived in St. Petersburg from the United States of America. 7. He said they had not been here for a long time. 8. He said they had been friends at school. 9. He said he would take them to the theatre on Sunday. 10. They said they would write me a letter when they returned home.
1. were waiting. 2. had already wound. 3. would not be, went. 4. knows. 5. had not come. 6. remembered. 7. would arrest. 8. did not want. 9. will send. 10. would leave. 11. has already found. 12. was striking. 13. could, was. 14. had ever travelled. 15. was running. 16. had just gone, would be.
1. was playing. 2. would come. 3. had posted. 4. will be, will not change. 5. was. 6. has bought. 7. had seen. 8. was staying. 9. had lost. 10. studied. 11. should finish. 12. worked. 13. was.
1. I was afraid that you would fall and break your leg. 2. I knew that my friend had never been to Washington. 3. I was told that she never drank milk. 4. We were told that he was a very talented singer. 5. We knew that they lived a happy life. 6. She thought that the children were playing in the yard. 7. She hoped that her friend would come to see her. 8. He thought that father had repaired his bicycle. 9. I supposed that she knew English very well. 10. We were sure that our sportsmen would win the game. 11. I found out that he did not know German at all. 12. She was glad that she had made no mistakes in her dictation. 13. I knew that he worked at his English hard. 14. I was told that she danced better than anybody else. 15. I learnt that my cousin had received a very interesting offer from his firm. 16. My aunt wrote in her letter that she would come to stay with us. 17. We heard that he was painting a new picture. 18. We were sure that his new picture would be a masterpiece.
1. I knew that she worked at a plant, that she had a husband and two children, that her family was very friendly and she was happy. 2. He told me yesterday that he had studied at the university before. 3. Last week we decided that next year we should all go to the Crimea. 4. My sister said that she wanted
to come to our place herself. 5. I knew that she was very busy. 6. Nobody knew that you were waiting here. Let's go into the house. 7. The guide warned us that in this part of the town the traffic was rather heavy. 8. The secretary did not notice that the headmaster was speaking with somebody. 9. We all knew that her family was in St. Petersburg again. 10. Lena said that she was giving us this picture. 11. She said that her colleagues always gave her very good advice. 12. He said that he liked this play. 13. Last year they thought that they would never read English well, but yesterday they saw that they read texts rather well. 14. He told me yesterday that his father was a professor and lived in Moscow.
1. I was afraid that I should lose my way in the forest. 2. She knew that we had never seen her picture.
3. The scientist was sure that he would find the solution of the problem. 4. I knew that you had come to St. Petersburg and supposed that you would visit me. 5. We did not think that he would be so angry. 6. We learnt yesterday that she was ill. 7. He thought that she would not come to school. 8. I knew that my sister was studying French and thought that she would go to Paris. 9. I was told that you had rung me up. 10. I thought that you were in Moscow. 11. I did not know that you had already returned to St. Petersburg. 12. We hoped that we should go to London. 13. The teacher said that our friends had sent a letter from London. 14. She said that her friend had invited her to the theatre. 15. We were afraid that we should not buy (be able to buy) a ticket to the theatre. 16. We saw that the children were playing in the sand. 17. She said that she would not bathe any more because the water was cold. 18. My cousin said that she liked opera and would be glad to go to the theatre with us, although she had already listened to La Traviata twice.
1. I thought that he would wait for me. 2. He was afraid that it would be difficult for him to make a report. 3. He told us that when he had entered the room, his friend was already sitting on the sofa. He was reading a newspaper. 4. We hoped that she would come soon. 5. He said that he did not know when the conference would begin. 6. I was sure that if we hurried, we should not miss the train. 7. He asked me what I should do in the evening. I answered that I did not know if I should be free in the evening, but told him that if I was free, I should ring him up about eight o'clock. 8. Everybody was sure that Boris would pass his examinations well. 9. He said that Lev (Leo) Tolstoy was his favourite writer. 10. I knew that you lived in Moscow, but I did not know your address. 11. He said that he would give up smoking. 12. Everybody knew that she would go to Rome. 13. We are sorry, we did not think that you were waiting for us. 14. I did not know that you liked football, too. 15. I was sure that he would be an outstanding actor. 16. I was afraid that you would not follow my advice. 17.1 did not know that you would work in the reading room.
1. The teacher told me to hand that note to my parents. 2. Oleg told his sister to put the letter into an envelope and give it to Kate. 3. Robert asked Henry to help him with that work. 4. He asked the waitress to bring him some fish soup. 5. She told me not to worry over such a small thing. 6. Mary asked her friend not to mention it to anybody. 7. Jane asked Alice to promise to come and see her. 8.
He told us to come there the next day. 9. I asked Mike to send me a telegram as soon as he arrived. 10. Father told me not to stay there long. 11. Peter told them not to leave the room until he came back. 12. He told the porter to take his luggage to Room 145. 13. He asked me to ring him up the next day. 14. She asked the waiter to bring her a cup of black coffee. 15. Mother told us not to be late for dinner. 16. Jane asked us to tell her all we knew about it. 17. She asked Nick not to say anything about it to his sister. 146
ГРАММАТИКА. КЛЮЧИ К УПРАЖНЕНИЯМ
1. My friend asked me to explain to him how to solve that problem. 2. The doctor told Nick to open his mouth and show him his tongue. 3. The man told Kate not to be afraid of his dog. 4. The librarian told
the boy to take that book and read it. 5. The doctor told Pete not to go for a walk that day. 6. Nick's mother told him not to eat too much ice cream. 7. The teacher told us to go home. 8. My mother asked me to buy some meat in the shop. 9. My mother told me to sit down at the table and do my homework.
10. Granny told Helen not to forget to clean her teeth. 11. The doctor told Mary not to sit up late.
1. He said that he had just received a letter from his uncle. 2. He told me that he was going to the theatre that night. 3. Mike said that he had spoken to Mr. Brown that morning. 4. He told her that he would do it that day if he had time. 5. I told them that I could give them my uncle's address. 6. Oleg said that his room was on the second floor. 7. He said that he was sure she would ring him up when she was back in St. Petersburg. 8. Misha said that he had seen them at his parents' house the year before. 9. He said that he had not seen his cousin that day. 10. She said that she did not go to that shop very often. 11. Tom said that he had already had breakfast and so he was not hungry.
1. The woman said that that man had spoken to her on the road. 2. My classmate told me that he could not explain that rule to me. 3. The teacher told the class that they would discuss that subject the next day. 4. The woman told her son that she was glad she was there. 5. Mike said that they had bought those books that day. 6. She told me that now she could read my translation. 7. Our teacher said that Thackeray's novels were very interesting. 8. She said that we should read that book in the 9th form. 9. Nellie said that she had read "Jane Eyre" the year before. 10. Alec said that his friend lived in Moscow.11. The teacher told me that I had not done my work well. 12. The poor man told the rich man that his horse was wild and that it could kill the rich man's horse. 13. The rich man told the judge that the poor man's horse had killed his horse.
1. The mother told the doctor that the children were in the nursery. 2. The boy told his mother that he had no time for lunch that day. 3. The woman told me that I spoke English very well. 4. My brother told me that he was going to become a doctor. 5. My uncle told us that he bought several newspapers every day. 6. The teacher told the pupils that the following year they would have six hours of English a week. 7. He told me that he wanted to see me that day. 8. She said that she was free that night. 9. Mother told me that she felt bad that day. 10. The pupil told the teacher that he could do his homework after dinner. 11. The teacher told Jack that she knew that he worked hard and added that he was a good boy. 12. The old man told the girl that she could sing perfectly and added that he thought that she would be a famous singer. 13. My sister told me that I looked very well, much better than I had looked the day before. She added that she thought I had recovered after my illness. 14. My guest told me that I was an excellent cook and added that everything was very tasty. 15. The student said that he could not answer that question because he did not understand it.
1. Не told me that they were staying at the Europe Hotel. 2. He said that they were leaving the following Monday. 3. The clerk told them that they could leave the key with the maid upstairs. 4. Masha said that she usually spent her holidays in the south. 5. She said that she had spent her holidays in the Crimea the year before. 6. Boris said that he went to the south every year. 7. He said that he was going to a health resort the next day. 8. Ann told us that they hadn't yet come. 9. She told us that they had arrived in St. Petersburg the day before. 10. I said that I had been in London the year before and added that my friends in London sometimes invited me to spend my holidays with them. 11. Nick said that he had never been to London and added that he thought he would go there the following year. 12. He said that he would not stay with his friends too long.
1, My friend told-me that he would come as soon as he was ready. 2. My sister said that we should know-that she had gone to the concert if she was not at home by eight. 3. My girlfriend said that she would come to the Philharmonic with me if I got tickets. 4. She told us that five years before there had been no people living there at ail. 5. Fred said that he would go skiing on Sunday if he had time. 6. He said that they had finished building that house only the week before. 7. Mary said that it would be very pleasant when Tom came home. 8. My friend said that he would do it at once if I liked. 9. She said that her brother had been there that day. 10. He said that it was a pity I hadn't come earlier. 11. The teacher told the pupils that there would be an interesting lecture at the school assembly hall the next day. She added that one of their teachers would speak about Charles Dickens. 12. Helen said that the year before she had spent her summer vacation in the Caucasus. 13. The man said that he had come to live in that town several years before. 14. Grandmother told us that she would be reading us a story until it was time to go to bed. 15. My brother said that he had read all about it in that day's newspaper.
1. I told my grandmother to listen very carefully, when her turn came, to what the doctor told her. 2. The laboratory assistant told me that if I was in a hurry, we should make only the first experiment. 3. The writer told the correspondent that he would not start anything new until he had finished that novel. 4. The boy's father told him that when he got a job, he would buy him a warm coat. 5. My mother told me that if I spilled the milk, there would not be any for the cat. 6. She told me that she would show me her new dress when I came to see her on Sunday. 7. Jane told Henry to bring Mary to their house if she arrived before seven. 8. The PT teacher told the pupils not to wait until he came and to begin playing volleyball as soon as they finished the exercises. 9. Mary told her mother to ask Robert, as soon as he appeared, where he had put the dictionary.
1. I shall go to see the doctor tomorrow. 2. I am ill. 3. I have fallen ill. 4. Tom did not come to school yesterday. 5. You may catch cold. 6. I have caught cold. 7. While crossing the English Channel we stayed on deck all the time. 8. I felt sick when crossing the Channel. 9. I am feeling bad today. 10. I have pain in my right side. 11. I have just been examined by a good doctor. 12. I shall not come to school until Monday. 13. I spent a month at a health resort. 14. My health has greatly improved since then.
1. Mother wanted to know who had brought that parcel. 2. He asked her where she usually spent her summer holidays. 3. Ann wondered when Mike had left London. 4. She asked Boris when he would be back home. 5. Boris asked them how he could get to the railway station. 6. Mary was interested what time Tom would come there the next day. 7. She asked me why I had not come there the day before. 8. She wanted to know what I should do the next day if I was not busy at my office. 9. I asked Nick where he was going. 10. I asked him how long he was going to stay there. 11.1 wanted to know how long it would take him to get there. 12. Pete asked his friends when they were leaving St. Petersburg. 13. He asked them who they would see before they left there. 14. They asked him what time the train started. 15.1 asked Mike what he would do after dinner. 16. I asked my uncle how long he had stayed in the Crimea. 17. Ada asked me where I had seen such trees. 18. I asked Becky what kind of book her friend had brought her.
1.1 forgot where I had put the book. 2. She wanted to know who had given me that nice kitten. 3. He asked me where he could buy an English-Russian dictionary. 4. He wondered how long it would take my brother to get to Madrid. 5. He didn't tell anybody where he was going. 6. Did you know where he had gone? 7. Did you know where he was? 8. I wanted to know when he was leaving school. 9. Nobody knew where he lived. 10. She asked them when he would come back. 11. He wanted to know where she had bought that hat. 12. I had no idea how much she had paid for it.
1. I asked Mike if he had packed his suitcase. 2.1 asked Kate if somebody had met her at the station. 3. I asked her if she could give me their address. 4. I wanted to know if Tom had had breakfast. 5. I wondered if my sister would stay at home or go for a walk after dinner. 6. I asked my mother whether somebody had come to see me. 7. I asked my sister whether Nick would call for her on the way to school. 8. She asked the young man if he could call a taxi for her. 9. Mary asked Peter if he had shown his photo to Dick. 10. Oleg asked me if I should come there the next day. 11. He asked us if we had gone to the museum that morning. 12. I asked Boris if his friend lived in London. 13. I asked the man whether he was living in a hotel. 14. Nick asked his friend if he would stay at the Hilton. 15. He asked me whether I often went to see my friends. 16. He asked me if I should see my friends before I left St. Petersburg. 17. Mike wondered if Jane would come to the railway station to see him off. 18. She wanted to know whether I had sent them a telegram. 19. She asked me if I had sent them a telegram the day before.
1. I did not know if they had sold the picture. 2. I wondered if they knew something about it. 3. She asked me if Jack had given me his telephone number. 4. I was not sure if he was coming back that day.
5. She asked me if I had found the book. 6. The man asked if there were some more books there. 7.1 wanted to know if she had gone shopping the day before. 8. He did not ask her whether she had bought the dictionary. 9. I doubted if she knew the name of the man. 10. I asked if Boris had seen the man that morning.
1. Kate wondered if Mike liked her dress. 2. Grandfather wanted to know what mark Mary had got at school. 3. My sister asked me whether I should take her to the theatre with me the next day. 4. Mother asked me if I had played with my friends the day before. 5. Kate's mother wondered why Kate didn't play with her friends. 6. My little sister asked me if I liked chocolates. 7. Mr. Brown asked Lena if she had seen her granny the day before. 8. The doctor asked Nick if he washed his face and hands every morning. 9. The teacher asked Mike if his father worked at a factory. 10. Mother asked us what we were doing there. 11. Father asked Nick if he had done his homework. 12. Tom asked Ann where her friends were.
1. Has the doctor given you any medicine? Are you feeling better now? 2. How long have you been in St. Petersburg? 3. Are you going to a health resort? 4. Is your father still in Moscow? 5. What sort of work does your father do? 6. Have they taken the sick man to hospital? 7. Do you have a headache? 8. When did you fall ill? 9. Have you taken your temperature?