1. I wish they returned before Christmas. 2. The student wished he had studied the material better and shown better knowledge at the examination. 3.1 wish you had sent for us last night. 4. I wish you were with us these days. 5. My friend wishes he had entered the university. 6. He wished he had had enough time to finish his paper. 7. I wish we were able to reach home before teatime. 8. I wish I had not made you upset by telling you this news. 9.1 wish you knew enough physics.
1. a) I wish he were not so light-minded. 6) I wish he were more serious.2. a) Now I wish I had listened to his advice (had followed his advice). 6) Now I wish I had not followed his advice.3. a) I wish you had not come so late. 6) I wish you had come earlier.4. a) I wish we had not gone before he
came. 6) I wish we had waited till he came.5. a) I wish they knew it already. 6) I wish they did not know about it.
I. Oh, how I wish you had told her about it last Sunday! 2. I wish we had holidays now. 3. Oh, I wish he came tonight! 4. We wished we had asked his advice. 5. I wish you had not refused to take part in the picnic. 6. I wish you were interested in this subject. 7. We wish you mentioned these facts. 8. I wish we had not missed the train. 9. I wish you had turned on TV earlier. 10.1 wish I were free now! 11. 1 wish I had had more time yesterday. 12. I wish you wrote her about it yourself. 13.1 wish you had paid attention to his warning. 14. He wished he had not left the university. 15.1 wish it were not too late to go there. 16. Oh, how I wish I had come to the railway station on time! 17.1 wish you had read this wonderful book. 18.1 wish she did not make so many mistakes in her speech. 19. I wish you had visited the exhibition. 20. I wish I had learned about it earlier. 21.1 wish we had found Nick at home. 22. She wished she had told us this story before.
1. If I did not have a toothache, I should not go to the dentist. 2. If he had gone to the dentist to have his tooth filled, he would not be groaning with pain now. 3. If she needed some treatment, she would go to the polyclinic. 4. If he had not been present at the dress rehearsal, he would go to see the play. 5. If he were not fond of this famous singer, he would not have gone to Moscow specially to hear him. 6. If we had been thirsty, we should have gone to the cafeteria to have a glass of lemonade. 7. If she had had a needle, she would (could) have mended her dress herself. 8. If he had trained enough last year, he would be a first-class sportsman now. 9. If the pupils had not wanted to understand this difficult material, they would not have been so active. 10. If the pupils had been more attentive, they would have understood the homework. 11. If the pupils had not worked hard, they would not have done well in their examinations. 12. If she were good at foreign languages, she would try to enter the foreign languages department.
1. If he were not so near-sighted, he would have recognized me in the theatre yesterday. 2. She is well. If she were ill, her brother would have told me about it yesterday. 3. You would know much if you read this magazine regularly. 4. If I had learnt about it before, I should not be staying at home now. 5. If my parents were rich, they would have bought me a car long ago. 6. She is very talented. I wish her parents bought her a piano. If she begins to play the piano now, she will become an outstanding musician. 7. If I knew French, I should have spoken to her long ago. 8. If I knew German, I should read Goethe in the original. 9. If I lived near, I should call on you more often. 10. If you had not interrupted us yesterday, we should have finished the work in time. 11. If he had not followed the doctor's advice, he would not have recovered so soon. 12. If he were not a talented painter, his picture would not have been taken to the exhibition. 13. If you had listened to my advice then (had followed my advice then), you would not be in such a difficult situation now. 14. If I were not so busy these days, I should have helped you yesterday.
1. He has changed so much! If you met him, you would not recognize him. 2. If I were you, I should consult my parents. 3. If a tram came now, we should not be late. 4. If he had known that this would upset you, he would have been more careful. 5. If you helped me to solve this problem, I should be very grateful to you. 6. I wish it had occurred to us before to look for the book in the library. We should have done the work in time and now we should be free. 7. I wish we had had more lessons. If we had worked more, we should know the language better. 8. If he had not attended sports trainings regularly, he would not have achieved such success in the competitions. 9, If you had warned me before, I should already be in Moscow. 10. I wish she had not gone. If you had called before, she would be here now. 11. If he were cleverer, he would not have gone to the wood yesterday. 12. If she had not sent this letter yesterday, my brother would be at home now. 13. What should we be doing now if mother had not baked a pie yesterday? 14. I wish you had heard Rakhmaninov's music. If you had heard it, you would know what a wonderful composer he was. 15.1 am sure that everybody would be glad if the party took place.
1. Ее бабушка умеет хорошо вязать. 2. Я могу ответить на вопросы. Они очень легкие. 3. Эта поездка для меня слишком дорогая. Я не могу позволить ее себе (Это мне не по карману). 4. Она умеет печатать на машинке. Она умеет прекрасно вести разговор по телефону. Она надеется,что сможет найти работу, которую ищет. 5.Вы не можете пойти на ленч со мной? — Извините, не могу. 6. Майк умеет очень быстро бегать. 7. Они понимают (могут понимать) французский язык. 8. Катя хорошо умеет говорить по-английски. 9. Мой брат может прийти и помочь вам работать в саду. 10. Вы умеете говорить по-испански? 11. Ваш брат может помочь мне с математикой? 12. Его маленькая сестра уже умеет ходить. 13. Дети не могут нести этот ящик: он слишком тяжелый. 14. Мой друг не может прийти вовремя. 15. Эта старушка не может спать ночью. 16. Его сестра умеет очень хорошо готовить. 17. Я умею петь, но не умею танцевать. 18. А Вы не можете подождать до (завтрашнего) утра? — Я-то могу, да моя зубная боль не может.
1. I can speak English. 2. My father cannot speak German. 3. Can you speak French? 4. My sister cannot skate. 5. Can you swim across this river? 6. I cannot drink this milk. 7. She cannot understand you. 8. Could you swim last year? 9. Last year I could not ski, but now I can. 10. Can (Could) you tell me how to get to the railway station? 11. Could you help me? 12. I cannot translate this sentence. 13. Nobody could help me. 14. Where can I buy bread here? 15. Could your grandmother dance when she was young? — Yes, and she can dance now.
1. She won't be able to get to the airport on time. 2. Will you be able to send him e-mail tonight? 3. They won't be able to watch TV for a while because it is Sunday tomorrow and they will call nobody.
4. I'm afraid he won't be able to help me move to my new house next week. 5. Will you be able to do this work tomorrow? 6. I think she won't be able to solve this problem. 7. Tomorrow I shall be free and
I shall be able to help you. 8. Shall we be able to go to New York next year? 9. Will you be able to repair my tape recorder? 10. Yesterday I could not see the headmaster as he was at a conference, but today after work I shall be able to do it.
1. They will never be able to appreciate your kindness. 2. I was sure you would be able to (could) translate that article after you had translated so many texts on physics. 3. You will be able to go to the country when you have passed your last examination. 4. We can (shall be able to) pass to the next exercise when we have done this one. 5. I shall be able to give you my book for a couple of days after I have read it. 6. He has been able to ski for ten years. 7. We knew that she had been able to swim since a child. 8. You won't be able to take part in this serious sport competition until you have mastered good skills. 9. I had not been able to solve the problem before he explained it to me.
1. Можно я позову Колю к нам? 2. Теперь вы можете идти. 3. Если ты сделал домашнее задание, можешь идти гулять. 4. Не ходи в лес один: ты можешь заблудиться. 5. Можно мне пойти на почту с Майком? 6. Можно, я возьму Петину сумку? 7. Не давайте вазу ребенку: он может разбить ее. 8. Можно делать записи карандашом? 9. Нельзя переходить улицу по красному сигналу. 10. Можно закрыть дверь? 11. Дождь перестал, и мама сказала, что мы можем выйти на улицу. 12. Можно детям играть с ножницами? 13. Они могут совершить путешествие и морем. Это, может быть, и дешевле, но на это потребуется много времени (но это займет много времени). 14. Возможно (Может быть), это и правда. 15. Можно мне к Вам зайти? 16. Могу я узнать, где вы пропадали?
1. If you don't put on your coat, you may fall ill. 2. Don't leave home: mother may come soon, and she has no key. 3. Be careful: you may fall. 4. Don't touch the dog: it may bite you. 5. We may go to the country on Sunday. 6. He may forget about it. 7. It may start raining soon. 8. May I come in? 9. May I go for a walk? 10. If your work is ready, you may go home. 11. The teacher said that we might go home. 12. The doctor says that I may bathe already. 13. Father said that we might go to the cinema alone. 14.1 thought that I might watch TV. 15. There is nothing to do here. We may leave early today. 16. He might know the problem, so he might know the answer to this question, but I am not very sure (not quite sure). 17. You may leave now if you wish (want). 18. Where are they living? — They might be living abroad, but I am not so sure.
1. Smoking is not allowed. 2. He wasn't allowed to smoke in their house. 3. In Britain you will be allowed to drive a car if you are seventeen years old. 4. In the USA you are allowed to go on driving even at the age of 90. 5. I am allowed to use father's tape recorder. 6. The children are already big.
They are allowed to go to school alone. 7. He is not allowed to bathe in this river. 8. Yesterday she was allowed to come home at ten o'clock. 9. We are not allowed to talk in class. 10. Were you allowed to take this book? 11. I think I shall not be.allowed to go to the country with you. 12. You-will be allowed to go for a walk when you have done your homework. 13. Were you allowed to go to the lake when you were little? 14. When shall I be allowed to eat ice cream?
1. may. 2. was allowed to. 3. may. 4. may. 5. might. 6. were allowed to. 7. will be allowed to. 8. might. 9. will be allowed to. 10. may. 11. might. 12. may.
1. can. 2. may. 3. may. 4. can, can, can. 5. may. 6. may. 7. can. 8. can, may.
1. may. 2. may.3. can, may. 5. can. 6. may. 7. may. 8. can. 9. may. 10. may (can). 11. may. 12. can.
1. can. 2. could. 3. could. 4. can, can (may, may). 5. might. 6. may (can). 7. can. 8. can. 9. may. 10. can. 11. may. 12. could. 13. may. 14. can (could). 15. may. 16. could.
1. He беспокойся (Не волнуйся)! Это неважно. — Неважно? Ты, должно быть, шутишь! 2. Он никогда не опаадывает на работу. Он, должно быть, проспал сегодня. 3. Вы не должны (Вам нельзя) спорить с боссом. 4. Она должна прекратить столько есть, и ей надо похудеть. 5. Вы должны прекратить курить! Если Вы этого не сделаете, то когда-нибудь у Вас будут серьезные проблемы с легкими. 6. Вы должны упорно работать над вашим английским. 7. Вы должны выучить слова. 8. Мы должны выучить стихотворение сегодня? 9. Должно быть, очень трудно учить китайский язык. 10. Вы не должны разговаривать на уроках. 11. Все должны приходить в школу вовремя. 12. Не звоните ему: он, должно быть, очень занят. 13. Вы не должны делать заметки в книгах. 14. Сегодня я должна помогать маме.
1. Не must be very tired. 2. They even have a yacht. They must be very rich. 3. Must you leave tomorrow morning? 4. You mustn't be late. 5. I mustn't forget about my mother. I haven't written to her for ages. I must write her a letter tonight. 6. This book is very valuable. You mustn't lose it. 7. Must you go so soon? 8.1 must admit (that) I am wrong. 9.1 must work hard at my English. 10. You must listen to the teacher attentively at the lesson. 11. You must do your homework every day. 12. You must not forget about your duties. 13. You must be careful in the street. 14. She must be at home now. 15. My friends must be in the park. 16. You must be very hungry. 17. It must be very difficult to solve such problems. 18. I must see my friend today.
1. Я не написал сочинение. Мне придется писать его в воскресенье. 2. Нам не пришлось покупать печенье, потому что бабушка испекла прекрасный пирог. 3. Тебе придется завтра рано вставать? 4. Мне пришлось делать очень много домашних заданий вчера. 5. Ей пришлось остаться дома, потому что она себя неважно чувствовала. 6. Пете пришлось остаться дома, потому что было очень холодно. 7. Майку пришлось писать это упражнение в школе, потому что он не сделал этого дома. 8. Им пришлось вызвать врача, потому что бабушка была больна.
2. Почему тебе пришлось остаться дома вчера? — Потому что родителей не было дома, и мне пришлось присматривать за маленькой сестрой. 10. Вчера было воскресенье, поэтому ему незачем было быть на работе, но по дому ему пришлось много потрудиться. 11. Извините, я не смог прийти вчера. Мне пришлось работать допоздна. 12. Почему тебе завтра придется рано вставать? 13. Мне надо было идти в больницу навестить тетю. 14. Что тебе приходилось учить наизусть? — В школе я должен был выучить прекрасное стихотворение «Досуг» Вильяма Генри Дейвиса.
1. It was quite clear to everybody in the family that he had to start getting ready for his examination instead of wasting time. 2. It was impossible to do anything in such a short time. I had to ask the chief to put off my report. 3. I did not mean that you had to do everything they told you. 4. It was already twenty minutes past eight. You had to go or you would have been late for the first lesson. 5.1 was very tired. I felt I had to go to bed at once, or I should have fallen asleep where I was sitting. 6. We could not wait for them any longer, we had to ring them up and find out what had happened. 7. I was thinking hard, trying to find a solution of the problem. There had to be a way out.
1. a) He had to work systematically if he wanted to know French well. b) He will have to work systematically if he wants to kno)w French well.2. a) This child had to spend more time out in the open air. b) This child will have to spend more time out in the open air.3. a) I could not recite this poem. b) I shan't be able to recite this poem.4. a) You had to take part in this work. b) You will have to take part in this work.5. a) He could not join the party because he was busy. b) He won't be able to join the party because he will be busy.6. a) You had to listen to the tape recording of this text several times.
b) You will have to listen to the tape recording of this text several times.7. a) You had to take your examination in English, b) You will have to take your examination in English.8. a) She could translate this article without a dictionary. b) She will be able to translate this article without a dictionary.9. a)
We could not meet them at the station. b) We won't be able to meet them at the station.10. a) The doctor had to examine the child. b) The doctor will have to examine the child.
1. I must
go to the shop today. cook dinner do my homework go to school
write a letter to my brother
2. I shall have to
go to the shop tomorrow. cook dinner do my homework go to school
write a letter to my brother
3. I had to
go to the shop yesterday. cook dinner do my homework go to school
write a letter to my brother
1. What must you do today?
2. What will you have to do tomorrow?
3. What did you have to do yesterday?
1. may. 2. must (may, can). 3. may. 4. can. 5. must. 6. can. 7. can. 8. can. 9. can, can't. 10. must. 11. may. 12. must. 13. must. 14. My friend Danielle isn't a famous artist. But she can even paint Russian icons. I can only admire her beautiful pictures. She must be a woman of great talents. She can speak German, French and English. She can translate a lot of articles for the Museum of her native town in Switzerland. She can also teach these languages at school. She is fantastic. I am fascinated by everything that she does.
1. May I take your book? 2. At the English lesson you must speak only English. 3. Must we hand in our exercise books today? 4. May I ask you a question? — Yes, you are welcome (Yes, you may). 5. I cannot go to the cinema with you because I am very busy. 6. May I smoke here? — Yes, you are welcome. (Yes, you may). 7. He must be in his office now. You can speak to him. 8. May I come in?
— You are welcome. (Yes, you may). 9. You must read this text. 10. Can he do this task? 11. I must speak to my friend today. 12. We must pay this electricity bill by the end of the month. 13. This woman is an excellent driver. She can even drive a bus. 14. May I have a tuna sandwich and a cup of coffee?
1. Нам надо было добраться туда раньше остальных. 2. Он должен был сказать ей, где нас найти. 3. Она должна была закончить институт в том году. 4. Она должна была быть в этом платье на выпускном вечере. 5. Он должен прийти сюда в пять часов. 6. Поезд отправлялся в пять-пятнадцать. 7.Мне пред: стояло ждать ее на вокзале. 8. Мы собирались пойти в кино в тот день. 9. Они должны были выступать в понедельник. 10. Они договорились, что он будет звонить, как только она будет вне опасности. 11. Вокруг пруда надо было посадить розы. 12. Позже должно было состояться обсуждение. 2
I. What am I to do if they come too early? 2. The youngest children were to play on the beach. 3. You are to show the place to her. 4. I am to leave tomorrow at the latest. 5. Where am I to be taken? 6. This is Dora. She is to share the room with you. 7. And who is to do the cooking? 8. Two more apartment houses are to be built here. 9. The cup final was to be played that afternoon. 10. Who is to meet you at the station?
1. were, had. 2. is. 3. is. 4. am, are, are. 5. are. 6. have. 7. had. 8. shall have. 9. was. 10. are.