1. was. 2. are. 3. had. 4. have. 5. had. 6, have. 7. had. 8. was. 9. are. 10. is. 11. was, had. 12. will have.
13. is. 14. had. 15. was.
1. I shall have to stay at home these days. The doctor says I am not to go out till my temperature is normal. 2. Stay here while he is busy. I don't think you will have to wait long. 3. The performance was to begin at seven o'clock. 4. We had to put off the trip as the weather had got worse. 5. If you want to master a language, you have to read a lot. 6. According to the new timetable we are to have five English lessons a week. 7. We decided that everybody was to take part in the concert. 8. Sooner or later you will have to see the doctor. 9. Next year we are to begin studying astronomy. 10. To work out a new theory, the scientists had to make numerous experiments. 11. You are to learn this poem by Wednesday. 12. I was to learn this poem by Wednesday. 13. I had to learn this poem by Wednesday.14. I shall have to learn this poem by Wednesday«_ 15. He has to learn this poem today as he did not learn it yesterday. 16. You won't have to learn this poem. 17. I did not have to learn this poem. 18. As he learnt this poem yesterday, he does not have to. learn it now. 19. This week we are to meet with an outstanding scientist. 20. There was no way out, and he had to pay a fine. 21. I was to write a composition on Pushkin's creative activity, and for this I had to reread some of his works which I remembered badly.
1. Вы не можете прочесть так много книг. 2. Вы можете не читать так много книг. 3. Коля не может пойти в школу сегодня. 4. Коля может не ходить в школу сегодня. 5, Они не могут перевести эту статью. 6. Они могут не переводить эту статью. 7. Моя сестра не может написать это письмо: она очень занята. 8. Моя сестра может не писать это письмо: я позвоню им. 9. Она не может купить хлеб. 10. Она может не покупать хлеб. 11. Он не мог остаться там на ночь. 12. Он мог и не оставаться там на ночь. 13. Мы не могли сделать всю эту работу. 14. Мы могли и не делать всю эту работу. 15. Она не могла приготовить такой большой обед. 16. Она могла и не готовить такой большой обед. 17. Они не могли написать сочинение. 18. Они могли и не писать сочинение. (Им не нужно было писать сочинение.) 19. Я не мог пойти в библиотеку. 20. Я мог и не ходить в библиотеку.
1. Need you do it all today? 2. Mother need not have cooked this enormous dinner. 3. We need not take the six-thirty. 4. She need not have done it herself. 5. You need not worry. 6. You need not be present. 7. Need we go into all that now? 8. Need you have mentioned all these figures? 9. Need you press the skirt? (You need not press the skirt.) 10. You need not have reminded me about her birthday.
I. We have got plenty of time to spare, and we needn't hurry. 2. You needn't do it now. You can do it tomorrow. 3. She needn't help. Everything has been already done. 4. He needn't have sold his piano. 5. You needn't have shouted at the child like that. 6. Now they can't sleep. They needn't have watched this horrow film. 7. Need I help you? — No, thank you, I shall do everything myself. 8. You need not go there. 9. He need not worry about her. 10. I need not ask him: he will tell me everything himself.
II. You need not ring me up: I won't forget about my promise. 12. Need she buy such a lot of foodstuffs? 13. She need not go to the library: I shall give her the book. 14. You need not have taken the umbrella: I am sure it won't rain.
1. may, must. 2. must, need. 3. may, need. 4. may (must), may (must). 5. must, need, may. 6. must, need, may. 7. must, may. 8. may. 9. must. 10. must.
1. must. 2. can. 3. must, must. 4. can. 5. need. 6. can. 7. may. 8. can. 9. need. 10. can, can. 11. need. 12. can. 13. need. 14. must. 15. can. 16. may. 17. need.
He must know your sister. Он, должно быть, знает вашу сестру.
Не must be busy. Он, должно быть, занят.
Не must be ill. Он, должно быть, болен.
Не must be tired. Он, должно быть, устал.
Не must be hungry. Он, должно быть, голоден.
Не may know your sister. Он, может быть, знает вашу сестру.
Не may be busy. Он, может быть, занят.
Не may be ill. Он, может быть, болен.
Не may be tired. Он, может быть, устал.
Не may be hungry. Он, может быть, голоден.
Не might know your sister. Он, может быть, и знает вашу сестру (хотя едва ли).
Не might be busy. Он, может быть, и занят (хотя едва ли).
Не might be ill. Он, может быть, и болен (хотя едва ли).
Не might be tired. Он, может быть, и устал (хотя едва ли).
Не might be hungry. Он, может быть, и голоден (хотя едва ли).
Не can't know your sister. He может быть, что он знает вашу сестру.
Не can't be busy. Не может быть, что он занят.
Не can't be ill. Не может быть, что он болен.
Не can't be tired. Не может быть, что он устал.
Не can't be hungry. Не может быть, что он голоден.
Не must be sleeping. Он, должно быть, сейчас спит.
Не must be working hard. Он, должно быть, сейчас упорно работает.
Не must be watching TV. Он, должно быть, сейчас смотрит телевизор.
Не must be having dinner. Он, должно быть, сейчас обедает.
Не must be playing football. Он, должно быть, сейчас играет в футбол.
Не may be sleeping. Он, может быть, сейчас спит.
Не may be working hard. Он, может быть, сейчас упорно работает.
Не may be watching TV. Он, может быть, сейчас смотрит телевизор.
Не may be having dinner. Он, может быть, сейчас обедает.
Не may be playing football. Он, может быть, сейчас играет в футбол.
Не might be sleeping. Он, может быть, и спит (хотя едва ли).
Не might be working hard. Он, может быть, и работает упорно (хотя едва ли). Не might be watching TV. Он, может быть, и смотрит телевизор (хотя едва ли). Не might be having dinner. Он, может быть, и обедает (хотя едва ли).
Не might be playing football. Он, может быть, и играет в футбол (хотя едва ли). Не can't be sleeping. Не может быть, что он спит.
Не can't be working hard. He может быть, что он работает упорно.
Не can't be watching TV. He может быть, что он смотрит телевизор.
Не can't be having dinner. He может быть, что он обедает.
Не can't be playing football. He может быть, что он играет в футбол.
Не must have forgotten your address. Он, должно быть, забыл ваш адрес.
Не must have lost your book. Он, должно быть, потерял вашу книгу.
Не must have missed the train. Он, должно быть, опоздал на поезд.
Не must have caught cold. Он, должно быть, простудился.
Не must have fallen ill. Он, должно быть, заболел.
Не must have left the country. Он, должно быть, уехал из страны.
Не must have sold his piano. Он, должно быть, продал свое пианино.
Не must have bought a car. Он, должно быть, купил машину.
Не may have forgotten your address. Он, может быть, забыл ваш адрес.
Не may have lost your book. Он, может быть, потерял вашу книгу.
Не may have missed the train. Он, может быть, опоздал на поезд.
Не may have caught cold. Он, может быть, простудился.
Не may have fallen ill. Он, может быть, заболел.
Не may have left the country. Он, может быть, уехал из страны.
Не may have sold his piano. Он, может быть, продал свое пианино.
Не may have bought a car. Он, может быть, купил машину.
Не might have forgotten your address. Может быть, он и забыл ваш адрес (хотя едва ли).
Не might have lost your book. Может быть, он и потерял вашу книгу (хотя едва ли).
Не might have missed the train. Может быть, он и опоздал на поезд (хотя едва ли).
Не might have caught cold. Может быть, он и простудился (хотя едва ли).
Не might have fallen ill. Может быть, он и заболел (хотя едва ли).
Не might have left the country. Может быть, он и уехал из страны (хотя едва ли).
Не might have sold his piano. Может быть, он и продал свое пианино (хотя едва ли).
Не might have bought a car. Может быть, он и купил машину (хотя едва ли).
Не can't have forgotten your address. He может быть, что он забыл ваш адрес.
Не can't have lost your book. He может быть, что он потерял вашу книгу.
Не can't have missed the train. He может быть, что он опоздал на поезд.
Не can't have caught cold. He может быть, что он простудился.
Не can't have fallen ill. He может быть, что он заболел.
Не can't have left the country. He может быть, что он уехал из страны.
Не can't have sold his piano. He может быть, что он продал свое пианино.
Не can't have bought a car. Не может быть, что он купил машину.
1. They must be working abroad.2. They may be working abroad.3. They might be working abroad.4. They can't be working abroad.5. They must have worked abroad.6. They may have worked abroad.7. They might have worked abroad.8. They can't have worked abroad.9. He must be at work.10. He must have been at work. 11. He may be at work. 12. He may have been at work.13. He might be at work. 14. Не might have been at work.15. He can't be at work. 16. He can't have been at work.
1. May I come and see you some day? 2. We asked the teacher if we might use dictionaries. 3.
Children may borrow books from the school library. 4. Your hair is getting rather thin, sir, may I advise to change your parting? 5. Mother, may I have a glass of light beer?
1. I may have wrecked my own life, but I will not let you wreck yours. 2. Justice may be slow, mother, but it comes in the end. 3. He may have written the letter, but the signature is certainly not his. 4. It might have been worse. 5.1 may show him your reports later. I don't know.
1. Можно к вам как-нибудь зайти? 2. Мы спросили у учителя, можно ли пользоваться словарями. 3. Дети могут брать книги в школьной библиотеке. 4. Ваши волосы становятся довольно редкими, сэр, разрешите посоветовать Вам делать пробор в другом месте. 5. Мама, можно мне выпить стакан легкого пива?
1. Может быть, я искойеркал собственную жизнь, однако, я не позволю Вам исковеркать Вашу.
2. Справедливость может быть не скорой, мама, но она приходит (наступает) в конце концов. 3. Он, возможно, написал письмо, но подпись, конечно, не его. 4. Могло быть и хуже. 5. Может быть я покажу ему Ваши доклады (отчеты) позже. Я не знаю.
1. It may have been too cold for the children to go out. 2. He may have taken his children to the zoo. 3. They may not have seen us in the crowd. 4. Robert may have used a dictionary. 5. Mary may have misunderstood you. 6. Henry may have waited for us there. 7. Ann may have returned very late last night. 8. They may have seen the new play. 9. Nick may have left his exercise book at home. 10. You may have left your umbrella in the bus. 11. He may have gone to. the cafe to wait for us. 12. It may have been Helen who rang you up. 13. They may have come by plane, 14. She may have had a very good English teacher.
1. He may be at home, but I am not sure he is. 2. We may have studied at the same school, but I don't remember her. 3. She may have been proud of her knowledge, but she never showed it to her classmates. 4. There may have been a chance for him to win the match. 5. Peter may have been as capable as the old workers, but he was given no chance to show his skill. 6. They may come home very soon: be ready. 7. The question may have been too difficult for her. 8. Try this delicious drink: you may like it. 9. Why didn't Nick ring us up? — He may have forgotten about it. 10. Your brother may never have heard about this singer. 11. She may have tried to enter the university, but she failed.12. You may have asked the wrong people. 13. Our friends may arrive here tomorrow.
1. may have been. 2. may arrive. 3. may have missed. 4. may have done. 5. may I ask. 6. might turn. 7. may not stop. 8. might want. 9. may I borrow. 10. might have left. 11. might have been stolen.
1. It may (might) not be true. 2. He may (might) be busy. 3. They may (might) know. 4. He may (might) still be abroad. 5. She may be late. 6. He may pass the exam. 7. We may go to the Volga. 8.She may come tomorrow. 9. I may buy this book in Moscow. 10. He may have already done his homework. 11. My sister may have already spoken to them. 12. They may have gone abroad. 13. Grandmother may be sleeping. 14. The children may be playing at the river. 15. They may be discussing the question at the moment. 16. She may send us a telegram. 17. They may forget to bring the newspaper. 18. My brother may have forgotten to ring you up. 19. She may have bought the tickets. 20. They may be having dinner at the moment. 21. He may be lying on the grass and looking at the clouds now.
1. You must take a taxi if you want to catch that train. 2. You must tell your mother about it. 3. "Oh, Auntie," he answered, "you mustn't talk like that. 4. And remember, you must come and see the baby as soon as you can. 5. You must go home now, Georgie. 6. The question must be solved before we begin doing anything. 7. Mind, you mustn't spend all the money.
1. But she must have seen him! 2. Oh, John, think how she must be suffering! 3. Is she waiting? She must have been waiting for an hour. 4. You must be a fool to think so. 5. The work must have been carried out in secret for quite a long time.
1. Вы должны взять такси, если хотите успеть на этот поезд. 2. Вы должны сказать вашей маме об этом. 3. «О, тетушка, — ответил он, — Вы не должны так говорить.» 4. И помни: ты должна прийти и повидать ребенка, как только сможешь. 5. Теперь ты должен идти домой, Джорж. 6. Вопрос должен быть решен прежде, чем мы начнем что-нибудь делать. 7. Имей ввиду, ты не должна тратить все деньги*
1. Но она, наверняка (несомненно), видела его! 2. О, Джон, как она, должно быть, страдает! 3. Она ждет? Она, должно быть, ждет уже целый час. 4. Ты, должно быть, дурак, если думаешь так. 5. Эта работа, очевидно, долгое время проводилась в тайне.
1. You must have left your exercise book at school. 2. She must have left the town. 3. Mike must have gone to the teachers' room. 4. Tom and Nick must be playing football. 5. Helen must have got a bad mark. 6. They must have solved the problem. 7. The pupils must have finished writing their composition. 8. He must have forgotten to warn them. 9. The meeting must have been cancelled. 10. He must have forgotten to send them a telegram. 11. There must have been something wrong with the tape recorder. 12. I must have left my bag in the canteen. 13. You must have left your umbrella in the bus. 14. Mary must have forgotten to call me. 15. Mother must have taken my umbrella. 16. I must have seen you before: your face is familiar to me.
1. She must be waiting for you at home. 2. He must have already been ill. 3. The first experiment must have failed. 4. She must have known what she was going to do. 5. She must be fond of the child. 6. They must have taken the wrong turning. 7. He must have been taken there by car. 8. It must be time for the bell to ring. 9. They must have this book in the library. 10. He must have recognized you by your photo in the papers. 11. He must be in at this time. 12. She must be trying to help you.
1. They must have changed the school curriculum. My granddaughter knows a great deal more than I did when I was her age. 2. It must be a very difficult rule. 3. It must be pleasant to spend summer in such a picturesque place. 4. You must have read books by this author before. 5. They must be preparing a surprise for us. 6. These old legends must have been composed about a thousand years ago.
7. It must be nine o'clock now. 8. He is very old. He must be nearly eighty. 9. It must be time to go now. 10. You have been absent very long. You must feel hungry. 11. Where are the children? — They are at the river with Nick. They must be having a very good time. 12. He must have worked very hard to finish his book. 13. She is a very experienced doctor. She must have been working at this hospital for at least fifteen years. 14. Look! Helen's windows are open. She must be at home. 15. The Smiths have always been great football fans. They must be at the stadium watching the football match.
I. must be. 2. must have been. 3. must come and visit. 4. must really enjoy. 5. must have snowed. 6. must be snowing. 7. must have been snowing. 8. must have had. 9. must have. 10. must have worked.
II. must work. 12. must be reading. 13. must have been studying.
1. She must be trying to find the old letters. 2. They must be admiring the beauty of the southern nature. 3. He must have returned from the south. 4. She must have lost my address. 5. They must have finished their work. 6. He must know several foreign languages. 7. He must be working at this problem now. 8. They must be enjoying fine weather now. 9. He must have told everything at the trial. 10. She must have prepared everything beforehand. 11. He must be still here. 12. They must have just come.13. He must have carried the papers away. 14. Somebody must have already been here. 15. They must be laughing at him. 16. They must have lived here then. 17. It must be raining. 18. It must be here.
1. Она, должно быть, самая младшая в группе. 2. Если хотите стать хорошим футболистом, вы должны быть спортсменом широкого профиля. 3. Мне пришлось прочитать письмо дважды, прежде чем я его понял. 4. Он, должно быть, перечитал письмо много раз. 5. Что вы только должны думать обо мне! 6. Они, должно быть, разговаривают о нас. 7. Он, должно быть, взял ее. 8. Ему пришлось взять ее. 9. Он, должно быть, пытается найти потерянную марку. 10. Вы должны попытаться найти потерянную марку. 11. Детей до сих пор нет дома. Их, должно быть, задержали в школе. 12. Здравствуйте, я Джейн. — А, Вы, должно быть, подруга Ани. 13. Он чувствует, что он в самом деле (действительно) не в форме. Он должен делать больше физических упражнений.
1. I had to go to the office. 2. She must have gone to the office. 3. You must speak to her. 4. Thay must be speaking about it now. 5.1 had to write to my sister about it. 6. She must have written to her sister.
7. I must read this book. 8. She must be reading this book. 9. Mother was ill, and I had to take my sister to school. 10. They must be playing in the yard.
1, He must be very clever. 2. He must have recognized you. 3. He was to go to the headmaster and explain his behaviour. 4. You will have to speak to her. 5. They had to walk for a long time. 6. He won't have to rewrite the composition. 7. He must be painting her portrait. 8. They must have already gone. 9. He was to make a wonderful discovery. 10. I am to do a lot of work today. 11. I had to go there myself. 12. You will have to wait a little. 13. When is he to come? 14. The train was to arrive in a few minutes. 15. Unfortunately, they weren't able to go to the party. Their mother had to waitrfor the plumber. Their father had to work late at his office. Their aunt had to take care of the little ones (the small children). Their uncle had to fix his car. Bad luck!
Can he know your sister? Неужели он знает вашу сестру?
Can he be busy? Неужели он занят?
Can he be ill? Неужели он болен?
Can he be tired? Неужели он устал?
Can he be hungry? Неужели он голоден?
Can he be sleeping? Неужели он сейчас спит?
Can he be working hard? Неужели он сейчас упорно работает?
Can he be watching TV? Неужели он сейчас смотрит телевизор?
Can he be having dinner? Неужели он сейчас обедает?
Can he be playing football? Неужели он сейчас играет в футбол?
Can he have forgotten your address? Неужели он забыл ваш адрес?
Can he have lost your book? Неужели он потерял вашу книгу?
Can he have missed the train? Неужели он опоздал на поезд?
Can he have caught cold? Неужели он простудился?
Can he have fallen ill? Неужели он заболел?
Can he have left the country? Неужели он уехал из страны?
Can he have sold his piano? Неужели он продал свое пианино?
Can he have bought a car? Неужели он купил машину?
1. Could you help me with the translation of this article? I. am afraid I cannot do it alone. 2. He shut himself up in the study for the whole day, and I could see through the window that he was writing busily. 3. She can't come tomorrow because they will be working the whole day. 4. I simply could not refuse: they would have been hurt. 5. The island can be reached by boat or even on foot when the tide is low.
1. Can you tell me the way to the nearest post office? 2. Could you help me with the translation of this article? 3. Could you leave the boy here for half an hour? I want him to help me.
1. "But they can't be as bad as he!" 2. A little bit of boiled fish can't hurt you, you know. 3. Can she have been waiting for us all this time? 4, He was not old. He couldn't have been more than forty. 5. "Oh!" she cried in surprise, "it's impossible! You can't have done it!"
1. Вы не могли бы помочь мне с переводом этой статьи? Боюсь, что я не смогу сделать его один. 2. Он заперся в кабинете на целый день, и я видел в окно, что он пишет, не отрываясь. 3. Она не может прийти завтра, потому что они будут работать весь день. 4. Я просто не мог отказать: они бы очень обиделись. 5. До острова можно добраться на лодке или даже пешком во время отлива.
1. Вы не могли бы сказать, как пройти к ближайшей почте? 2. Вы не могли бы помочь мне с переводом этой статьи? 3. Вы не могли бы оставить здесь мальчика на полчаса? Я хочу, чтобы он мне помог.
1. «Но, не может быть, чтобы они были такими же плохими, как он!» 2. Кусочек вареной рыбы, знаете ли, не может Вам повредить. 3. Неужели она ждет нас все это время? 4. Он был не стар. Ему не могло быть больше сорока лет. 5. «О! — вскричала она удивленно, — это невозможно! Не может быть, что Вы это сделали!»
1. The teacher can't have permitted you to use the dictionary. 2. Nick can't have got up at seven and done his morning exercises. 3. It can't have been Kate who aired the room. 4. There can't have been a lot of pupils in the library yesterday» 5. It can't have been John who broke the radio set. 6. You can't have seen Ann in the library yesterday. 7. Boris can't have been in the canteen five minutes ago. 8. Robert can't have taken two bags with him. 9. That can't have been Ann who plugged in the tape recorder. 10. Nick can't have been doing the-recording for two hours. 11. It can't have been Mary who rewound the tape. 12. The teacher can't have let you take the tape home.
1. This car can't have been built twenty years ago. 2. These photographs can't have been taken in the north. 3. This tape recording can't have been done last week. 4. James can't have been given an excellent mark in history. 5. Ann can't have been given an excellent mark for her geometry test. 6. This house can't have been built at the beginning of this century. 7. This tower can't have been built in the 9th century. 8. This book can't have been written by a good writer. 9. This film can't have been made by a good director. 10. This play can't have been written by a clever playwright. 11. This film can't have been shot in a fortnight. 12. This book can't have been translated into Russian in the 19th century. 13. This castle can't have been built-in the 15th century. 14. This picture can't have been painted by an Italian artist. 15. This refrigerator can't have been produced ten years ago.
I. You can't be serious. 2. She can't be a traitor. 3. He can't have made such an important discovery. 4. The teacher can't have forgotten to correct our homework. 5. The work can't be too difficult for my friend. 6. Jane can't have made such a mistake. 7. The cat can't have eaten all the fish. 8. Our papers can't have been so poor. 9. You can't have believed such a silly lie. 10. He can't have stolen the money.
II. They can't have heard the story before. 12. She can't be good at physics.
1. They can't be at home now. 2. He can't know so much. 3. They can't be playing in the yard now. It is late. 4. She can't be still sleeping. It is already ten o'clock. 5. He can't have missed the train. 6. She can't have deceived me. 7. You can't have made such a mistake. 8. She can't have failed the exam. 9* She can't have betrayed me. 10. He can't have given up smoking (have stopped smoking). 11. He can't have done it. 12. He can't have become a doctor. 13. He can't have translated this book.
1. Can he be a good runner? He is so small. 2. She can't have finished school. 3. He can't be a scientist.
4. He can't have been a scientist. 5. Can she be still sleeping? 6. Can they have lost the game? 7. He can't have said it! 8. A grown-up man can't like such books! 9. She can't have told you this. 10. Can'it have been so cold? 11. She can't have been late for the lesson: she has never been late before. 12. She can't have mixed up the streets. 13. It can't be true. 14. Can you have torn my note? 15. He can't be in the park now: it is late. 16. She can't have written it. I am sure that somebody else has written it.
I. can you ask. 2. can it be. 3. can (could) not have seen. 4. cannot forget. 5. could visit. 6. cannot (could not) have forgotten. 7. could finish. 8. can't be (cannot be). 9. could use. 10. could have slept.
II. cannot have (can't have). 12. could speak. 13. can I call. 14. could I have. 15. cannot really decide, could see.