1. Could you show us the way to the stadium? 2. She can't have broken her leg. 3. I won't go for a walk: she may ring me up. 4. Where are my books? — I don't know. Mother may have put them into the bookcase. 5. She can't (could not) have broken the glass: she is so careful. 6. It is very cold today: it may snow. 7. Mike may come later. 8.1 have been looking for my literature exercise book for an hour. I can't (could not) have left it at school. — You may have given it to Kate. 9. They may have been studying French for a long time. 10. My brother may come today. 11. She may have gone to the country. 12. We might have met with him in Novgorod, but I don't remember it. 13. She may be trying to call us now but she can't get through to us: our telephone is broken. 14. She can't (could not) have finished this work so soon. She may have done only half of it. 15. You can't (could not) have lost the money. You may have put it into your bag. — No, it is not in the bag. I may have dropped it in the shop. 16. He can't have left. 17. Can (Could) he have-translated the whole book? 18. It can't be cold outside: the thermometer says fifteen degrees. 19. He could not get the book because the library was closed. 20. He can't (could not) have got the book: the library was closed.
1. You must be tired: you have been working for hours. 2. He may have visited the Hermitage when he was in St. Petersburg last year. 3. It must be a very deep lake. 4. That building in the distance must be the station. 5. You can't have lost your passport: you must have put it into another bag. 6. The girl may have been frightened. 7. You must have left your textbook in the canteen. 8. They can't give up such a brilliant idea. 9. You look pale: you must be tired. 10. This boy can't be a good friend.
1. Hurry up: you may miss the train. 2. He may have fallen ill. 3. He may be ill. 4. He can't have forgotten to buy flowers. 5. He can't have quarrelled with her. 6. She must have learnt about it from Ma-sha. 7. It must have been a very difficult problem. 8. It must be very cold outside. 9. She must have met them on the way home. 10. They can't have sold their house. 11. They may come tomorrow. 12. My sister must be in the library now. 13. He can't have taken the first place. 14. He might have heard about it. 15. Mother must have bought sweets. 16. She may have rung me up yesterday, but I was out. 17. He might be at school now. 18. She can't be so young. She must be at least thirty. 19. There must be thick woods growing around your village. 20. He can't have written the letter so soon. 21. We may go to the beach: the weather is wonderful. 22. It must be a very ancient manuscript. 23. Let's ring up Robert: we may need his advice.
1. You should smoke less. 2. You should not give her sweets before dinner. 3. She should copy passages out of a book. 4. He should not shout at the dog. 5. You should not speak so fast. 6. The boy should play out of doors. 7. You should take a taxi. 8. You should try the room next door.
1. Вы должны знать (Вам следует знать), как вырастить детей, чтобы они не были неудачниками. 2. Вы не должны давать ребенку все, что он захочет. Вам не следует удовлетворять его каждое желание в получении еды, питья и удобств. В противном случае он вырастет с верой в то, что общество обязано содержать его. 3. Вам не следует смеяться над ребенком (над ним), когда он подхватывает плохие слова. Это заставит его подумать, что он вовсе не очень находчивый (не очень сообразительный; не очень умный) ребенок. Это также не будет поощрять его в желании схватывать (не будет способствовать тому, чтобы он схватывал) «более симпатичные» фразы. 4. Вы не должны избегать употребления слова «Плохо» («Ты не прав»). Это не приучит его к мысли, что общество против него, если вдруг (позднее) он будет арестован за кражу машины. 5. Вам не следует подбирать книги, ботинки, одежду — все то, что он (ребенок) разбрасывает где попало. Вы не должны делать все для него, иначе он научится перекладывать свою ответственность на других. 6. Вы не должны часто ссориться в присутствии своего ребенка. В противном случае он не будет слишком потрясен, если позже в семье будет разлад (развалится семья (дом). 7. Вам не следует быть на его стороне против
соседей, учителей и полицейских. У них не у всех предвзятое отрицательное мнение о вашем ребенке (Они не все относятся с предубеждением к вашему ребенку). 8. Если он попадет в беду (в неприятную историю), Вы не должны оправдывать себя, говоря: «Я никогда ничего не мог сделать с ним».
1. You should not have taken the child to the cinema. 2. You should not have forgotten to leave a message for her. 3. You should have waited for them. 4. You should have put down her address. 5. You should have explained to her how to get here. 6. You should not have bought these shoes. 7. You should not have told her what you thought about her idea. 8. You should have seen the film. 9. You should not have written with a pencil. 10. You should not have eaten too much cake with your tea.
A 1. You should tell her about it. 2. You should not stay there so late. 3. She should go to the doctor at once. 4. You should put on woollen socks. 5. They should begin earlier. 6. You should not speak English to her. 7. You should turn right. 8. You should tell somebody about it.
В 1. You should have told her about it. 2. You should not have stayed there so late. 3. She should have gone to the doctor at once. 4. You should have put on woollen socks. 5. They should have begun earlier. 6. You should not have spoken English to her. 7. You should have turned right. 8. You should have told somebody about it.
1. Children should be more attentive to their parents. 2. He should consult the doctor. 3. He should have consulted the doctor long ago. 4. You should not give the child so many sweets. 5. He should read this book. 6. He should have read this book. 7. You should go there and speak to them. 8. You should have gone there and spoken to them. 9. He should not have spoken so rudely, 10. He should not have forgotten about my request. 11. She should have returned long ago. 12. You shouldn't go there. 13. You should have read this book last year. 14. You should speak to your uncle when he comes. 15. She should not have carried such heavy things. .16. He should have remembered about it. 17. You should have asked permission. 18. You should not have worried. 19. You should work more. 20. She should listen to the teacher's advice. 21. You should apologize: you are wrong. 22. You should not miss English lessons.
1. You should not have crossed the street under the red light. 2. You should cross the street when the lights are green. 3. You should cross the street by the subway. 4. You should take off your hat when entering a room. 5.- You should have helped your classmate to clean the classroom. 6. You should take some medicine. 7. You need not have bought bread. 8. You should have been present at the meeting. 9. You need not have sent a telegram. 10. You should not have gone out without your coat. 11. You need not have apologized. 12. You should have attended this lecture. 13. You need not have got up at six o'clock on Sunday morning. 14. You should not have read till two o'clock in the morning. 15. You need not have copied the whole text into your exercise book. 16. You need not have watered the garden. 17. You should have returned the books to the library.
1. a) must, b) should. 2. a) should, b) must. 3. a) must, b) should. 4. a) must, b) should. 5. a) must, b) should.
1. had to take. 2. should have taken. 3. should have given. 4. had to bake. 5. should have baked. 6. had to wait. 7. had to wear. 8. should ask. 9. had to go out and tell. 10. should tell.
1. had to leave. 2. had to get. 3. should have disconnected. 4. had to go. 5. should have written, had to translate. 6. should not have taken, had to do. 7. should have seen, should have gone. 8. had to attend.
2. should have attended. 10. had to attend.
1. a) You need not have gone downtown b) I did not have to go downtown2. a) You need not have checked up the spelling b) I did not have to check up the spelling3. a) I did not have to ring him up b) I need not have rung him up4. a) I did not have to buy sugar b) You need not have bought sugar5. a) We did not have to worry about her b) You need not have worried about us6. a) You need not have gone tKere b) We did not have to go there7. a) I did not have to go to the library b) You need not have gone to the library
1. should not have gone. 2. did not have to go. 3. need not have worried. 4. should not run. 5. should not have told. 6. need not go. 7. should not put 8. need not give. 9. I'll just have to pay, I'll have to give.
3. should call. 11. shouldn't be. 12. needn't have told. 13. should be refrigerated. 14. don't have to do.
15. shouldn't be.
Сводные упражнения на модальные глаголы
1. Он, должно быть, продал свое пианино.2. Он, возможно, продал свое пианино.3. Может быть, он и продал свое пианино (хотя едва ли).4. Не может быть, что он продал свое пианино.5. Ему следовало продать пианино.6. Ему не следовало продавать пианино.7. Он мог и не продавать пианино.8. Ему не понадобилось продавать пианино.9. Ему пришлось продать пианино. 10. Ему предстояло продать пианино.
They must have gone to New York.They may have gone to New York.They might have gone to New York.They can't have gone to New York.They should have gone to New York.They should not have gone to New York.They need not have gone to New York.They did not have to go to New York.They had to go to New York. 10. They were to go to New York.
1. can, must. 2. сап. 3. could. 4. сап. 5. could. 6. can, must, can, need. 7. must. 8. can (may), must. 9. can (may), must (may, can), must. 10. must, need, can. 11. must, need, can. 12. can, can, must.
1. need. 2. need, must. 3. can, shall be able to. 4. need. 5. may, can, must. 6. must. 7. can, can. 8. had to, could. 9. have to. 10. can. 11. can. 12. has to. 13. could, had to. 14. must, must, must, can, can, need, must, must.
1. You may take this book if you like. 2. You can take this book: it is not heavy. 3. You need not take this book. 4.1 cannot take this book. 5. Just think: we need not have gone there! 6. You need not agree at once: think a few days. 7. You may go there today. 8. You need not go there today. 9. You need not
rewrite the composition. 10. You can stay: you have time, don't you? 11. You may stay if you like. 12. You need not stay if you don't want to. 13. You need not tell him about it. 14. You may tell him about it. 15. We need not repeat these rules: we know them. 16. We need not have written the composition.
17. He need not have come: everything had already been done.
1. You may go there: I don't mind. 2. You can go there: it is quite near. 3. You cannot go there: you don't know the address. 4. You need not go there: I can ring them up. 5. You must not go there: they are very bad people. 6. You need not have gone there yesterday. 7. You should go there: they are waiting for you. 8. You should have gone there yesterday. 9. You should not have gone there yesterday. 10. She must be at home now. 11. She must have been at home yesterday. 12. We may come to see you tomorrow. 13. They may have come to our place, but we were out. 14. He must have seen this monument when he was in your town. 15. He may have seen this monument when he was in your town. 16. He can't know this picture. 17. He can't have seen this picture.
1. I cannot find my watch. — You may have left it at work. — No, I can't have left it at work: I never take it off my wrist. 2. Will you be able to speak to him tomorrow? 3. I must have lost my way. Can you tell me how to get to the Hermitage? 4. I had to read a lot of books when I was getting ready for my report. 5. I could not remember the last lines of the sonnet, and I had to ring up my friend specially.
6. I must buy a cake today. 7. My brother cannot speak English. 8. My sister can speak French. 9. May I see your photo? 10. Can you show me your photo? 11. He can't be forty: he looks much younger. 12. He can't have forgotten to come. He must have been very busy. 13. We may go to the country if the weather is fine. 14. If my sister does not buy me any coffee, I shall have to go to the shop myself.