Unit 8 The world of mystery
Lessons 1-2 Find a clue and solve the mystery
witness - свидетель
bank robbers - грабители банка
I’m sure they have no alibi. - Я уверен у них нет алиби.
evidence - доказательство
detective - детектив (следователь)
to investigate - расследовать
suspects - подозреваемые
1. evidence 2. detective 3. witness 4. suspects
a) расследовать (глагол) b) следователь (существительное)
a) свидетели b) быть свидетелем
Ex. 2а (возможные ответы)
The main characters of this story are Nina and her cousin Max.
Ex. 2b (возможные ответы)
1. Ten rose bushes were pulled from the ground. It happened in Coach Thornton’s house.
2. The detectives were Nina and her cousin Max.
3. Three of best football players were suspects, because Coach benched them. They were very angry with him.
4. It happened between nine and ten o’clock.
5. Yes, Alex had an alibi.
|Ten rose bushes were pulled from the ground||It happened in Coach Thornton’s house||It happened between nine and ten o’clock|
|The others players had an alibi.||none||Sam’s answer about the first UFOs was wrong. So he didn’t watch programme.|
|Alex||He was at bar and helped Amy|
|Sam||He was watching programmer about pilots|
|Mike||He was at the ground. He was written in book. He came there at 9.05|
1. Yes, Sam had an alibi. 2. Yes, Mike had an alibi.
Do you know who ruined the roses?
Can you tell us what you were doing between nine and ten this morning?
Ex. 4b (возможные варианты)
3. Can you tell us where Alex was in the morning?
5. Do you know what Sam was doing from nine to ten in the morning?
7. Can you tell me why you think so?
d. .. a... e... f... c... b... h... g
Ex. 5b (возможные варианты)
Max and Nina, can you tell me how you investigated the case of the ruined roses?
Coach Thornton asked Max and Nina how they investigated the case of the ruined roses.
I understood that Sam’s answer about the first UFOs was wrong, because he didn’t see the beginning of the programme and had no alibi.
Alex, Sam and Mike were suspected, because they were benched for missing a class. So they were angry with you. Alex had an alibi. He was at the bar and helped Amy. Mike was at the ground and had an alibi too. But Sam’s answer about the first UFOs was wrong, because didn’t see the beginning of the programme and had no alibi.
Ex. 6 (возможные варианты)
1. Can you tell me how you investigate the class?
2. Do you know who witnessed the robbery?
3. Can you tell me what evidence you collect?
4. Do you know who the bank robbers were?
5. Do you know why you suspected them?
Lesson 3 Writing mystery stories
After the party Peter called Detective Johnson and asked him to come to investigate his case of stolen stamps.
Ex. 1b (возможные ответы)
1. The rare Egyptian stamp was stolen.
2. In the Peter’s house.
3. In the evening, when they came back to the living room.
4. There were no witnesses.
5. Peter noticed some green grass on the floor.
6. All his friends.
Bench - Roy House - Laura
Lawn - Fred Bushes - Jenny
1. Can you tell me where you were hiding?
2. Behind the house.
3. Can you tell me where you were hiding?
4. Behind the tree.
5. Behind the bench.
6. Can you tell me where you were hiding?
7. In a bushes, behind the house.
I think Jenny took Peter’s stamp. She couldn’t see Fred from the bushes behind the house. The others children couldn’t do it, because Peter was looking for Mike and Laura, and Fred and Roy were looking for the keys.
Ex. 5 (возможные варианты)
It was on Friday. Nelly invited her friends to watch an interesting Horry film. They cooked pop-com and began watching film. Suddenly they heard a very strange noise.
It was on the kitchen. The boys took his toy gun and went straight there. They were frightened and they couldn’t make any sounds. When they came up to the kitchen Nelly reached the handle, turn it and they saw
Lesson 4 The Tunguska mystery
There is no explanation the Tunguska explosion in 1908.
1. A huge fireball crossed the night sky and then exploded.
2. On the June, 1908.
3. In Russia, in Siberia.
4. The explosion was very strong. Forty thousand trees and hundreds of animals were killed.
5. Leonid Kulik.
6. In 1927
7. Kulik and his team looked for a crater and piece of asteroid.
8. It was a meteorite or an asteroid, comet or a spaceship from another planet.
9. It was stone asteroids.
10. In 2003
11. They used the computer program.
12. No, we can’t
1. June 10. 1927
2. 1908 11. a piece of asteroid
3. exploded 12. meteorite
4. Russia 13. meteorite
5. Tunguska 14. asteroid
6. hundreds of animals 15. Spaceship from another planet.
7. Forty thousand trees 16. 2003
8. gloving silver clouds 17. a computer program
9. Leonid Kulik 18. asteroid
The Siberian Mystery 2
1. A huge fireball crossed the night sky and then exploded.
2. On September 25,2002.
3. In the north-east of the Irkutsk region in Russia.
4. Witnesses saw a huge fireball fly very fast across the sky.
5. The scientists from The Irkutsk Institute of Sun and Earth Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
6. In October
7. They couldn’t find any pieces of meteorite because of die snow.
8. It was a meteorite or an asteroid, comet or a spaceship from another planet
9. The scientists are going to visit this place again.
10. In June 2003
11. No, we can’t
Lesson 5 The Unexplained
1-С, 2-B, 4-A
We don’t know who made it All these mysteries have no explanation until now.
site - место; ancient - древний; particle - частица; wonder - желать знать; universe - вселенная; exchange - обмениваться; link - связь;
the Neolitic Age - эра неолита; astronomical - астрономический; ceremonial - церемониальный; military fort - военное укрепление; Unexplained - необъяснимое; observation - наблюдение; measurements - измерения; interact - взаимодействовать; compute - подсчитывать; theorist - теоретик.
Lesson 6 Who build the Pyramids?
Yes, we know who build the Pyramids.
I think the Pyramids were built by Egyptian (aliens).
The famous archaeologist thinks that the Pyramids were built by Egyptian.
I don’t believe (that) Egyptian built the Pyramids. I think they didn’t know mathematics.
I think you are wrong. Scientists can explain how the Pyramids were built.
Ex. 4 (возможные варианты)
Dear «Young Scientist»,
Lindsay thinks that aliens built the Pyramids. But I don’t agree with her. I don’t think that they built the Pyramids. How could aliens do it? Why the Egyptian couldn’t do it. Finally there are a lot of evidences that it was Egyptian.
Lesson 7 Progress page
1. Do you know how they ...
2. Can you tell me why Alex ....
3. Do you know what....
4. Can you tell me who ...